Search This Blog

Thursday 14 April 2011

Let me explain...

So, hello...(in an interested, rather than a Leslie Phillips way), thanks for popping by. Today begins another new experiment for me, blogging about my management PhD (mostly). I'm not sure i'm going to be very good at this. For example, i joined twitter in Nov 08 and then tweeted thrice for the first couple of years, before rediscovering it and now find it a most wonderful place for all things work- and PhD-related. I'm on facebook, but i find it a bit dull and almost always forget to have my go at Scrabble, although it's quite good for organising stuff, but i don't like posting status updates because why on earth do people want to know what i'm up to? So what i'm saying is this might all end in disaster....

...BUT, on the other hand, i am hoping this is a place where i can tell you a little about my PhD and my experience of doing a PhD (without boring the pants off you with the minutiae) so that you can support me. When i moved from being an NHS manager to being an academic four years ago, a good friend of mine told me the biggest challenge was learning to work much more independently than ever before and getting used to being 'isolated'. Well, having started a PhD all i can say is, you think being an academic is isolating, try this! So i'm going to try and capture some of that for you.

In the meantime, there are many more brilliant places to find out about the experience of doing a PhD and you can find them via the links to the right. Oh, and finally, if you hadn't guessed it by now, the title of this blog is inspired by one of my favourite poems by Stevie Smith - just about sums up how i feel about the PhD experience. Bye for now

No comments:

Post a Comment